Forum Notice

We have updated our Forum Rules, and moved them to a new location. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with them as soon as possible. Click Here

Point Frog cutting disk

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
PlumbersMate

Point Frog cutting disk

Post by PlumbersMate »

Hi there

Can someone advise me of the disk (Dremel etc) they use in a Dremel to cut frog tracks.

I bought some disks but they were far too 'fat'.

What thickness of disk should look for, 1mm, 0.64mm ?

Maybe you can post a link?

Thank you
Steve M

Re: Point Frog cutting disk

Post by Steve M »

I'm still using the ones that came with my Dremel - about 0.5mm thick and maybe 2cms across. I did buy some on eBay some years ago but can't find the link now. I suspect Amazon may have something. Look for minin drill accessory sets, they often include them.
Be careful though, they are fragile and can shatter so use eye protection when cutting rails
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

I find cutting disks tend to produce rather wide cuts when gapping rails. Thin disks break for fun and unless you are ultra steady you cannot help but produce oversize gaps. Unless you use an extension attachment you will also find the body of the Dremel makes it awkward to cut straight.

Using razor saws is by far my preferred method a bit old school but allows you to produce nice thin cuts

https://www.modelrailshop.co.uk/p/5936/Razor-Saw-Set

Richard
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

I'm sure the last time I was looking at Dremel bits, there was a pack of cutting disks that actually showed Track on the pack. Can't recall the thickness though. Did seem very thin.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
sandy

Post by sandy »

I use a Dremel or a pair of track cutting tools. Both side and top versions. But they are no good for cutting track in situ as you get a crushed rail on waste side of the cut so they are better for cutting off lengths of rail rather than using on laid track. I find both ways work just as well and have their place. I have plenty of both thick and thin cutting discs in my box and yes the thin one do break easy but if you use Dremel extension you can hold it firmly against the Baseboard or what ever you are cutting and you can help prevent breaking the thin cutting discs. They only break if you move while cutting something. We have all broken a few. Dremel advertise thin discs just goole Dremel cutting discs. but the dremel one are expensive I get cheaper ones on Ebay. They may not be as good but they are cheap enough to waste them.
I just looked on ebay while writing this, and even found pack of 5 thin Dremel ones about £11
Sandy
Brian

Post by Brian »

PlumbersMate wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:34 pm Hi there

Can someone advise me of the disk (Dremel etc) they use in a Dremel to cut frog tracks.

I bought some disks but they were far too 'fat'.

What thickness of disk should look for, 1mm, 0.64mm ?

Maybe you can post a link?

Thank you
Hi
Do you want to cut the points frog? If so why?
Or do you mean to cut a gap in the two closure rails?

For closure rail gaps on older points (new Peco OO points are usually supplied with facotry gaps linked out, except the small Y point) I use a Jewllers Piercing saw used off the layout as these produce a fine cut in the rail. Example Link to saw example
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
sandy

Post by sandy »

I thought he was making his own points from scratch. Dont think I read through the post properly.
Sandy
PlumbersMate

Post by PlumbersMate »

I was asking about gapping the closure rails on older points.
My budget can't stretch to new points so I am using used ones.
Thank you for all your advice. I have ordered some Dremel discs 0.64mm thick.
I have some scrap, so can test the process and will consider the saw method if it doesn't work for me.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I reckon points are the most reused item on layouts.
Nurse, the screens!