Forum Notice

We have updated our Forum Rules, and moved them to a new location. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with them as soon as possible. Click Here

kadee couplings - I have some questions.

Too Tall

kadee couplings - I have some questions.

Post by Too Tall »

Bear with me please guys, still new to this and looking at building a second layout.
I was looking at something to make un coupling while shunting wagons around easier, and without the hand of the great creator needing to make an appearance ! The kadee do appear to have that benefit with a magnetic un-coupler.
Passenger stock I would use a different coupling method as the plan is they will be in fixed formations.
This leads me to several questions:

1. Are all the kadee couplings magnetic (even if they dont say "magne-matic" on the box) and what does "no draft gear" mean ?
2. I only see the magnetic track un-coupler in code 100 or 83, do they not do a code 75 one ?
3. What are the part number(s) for ones that fit in NEM pockets ?
4. What size is most suited to 00 wagons running on a track where the equivalent of R3 is the minimum radius they will encounter( + Using Peco medium length points if that makes any odds).
5. I see Bachmann have E-Z mate, which appear pretty similar and are more cost effective, are they as good ?
Steve M

Re: kadee couplings - I have some questions.

Post by Steve M »

Too Tall wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:23 am This leads me to several questions:

1. Are all the kadee couplings magnetic (even if they dont say "magne-matic" on the box) and what does "no draft gear" mean ?
2. I only see the magnetic track un-coupler in code 100 or 83, do they not do a code 75 one ?
3. What are the part number(s) for ones that fit in NEM pockets ?
4. What size is most suited to 00 wagons running on a track where the equivalent of R3 is the minimum radius they will encounter( + Using Peco medium length points if that makes any odds).
5. I see Bachmann have E-Z mate, which appear pretty similar and are more cost effective, are they as good ?
1) as their website uses the phrase "since the introduction of Magne-matic...." I would presume that early non-M versions probably won't be. Draft gear is the term used for the connection tion box when NEM boxes aren't fitted.
2) no idea re track height but do bear in mind their magnets only fit to straight track. As I have no straights on my layouts I have used small neodymium magnets set into the track to achieve the same effect. As they are set below sleeper height, track gauge is not an issue.
3) look for Magne-matic #17, #18, #19, #20
4) that depends on the horizontal distance between the buffers and the back of the NEM box. #19 is a good starting point but on some you will need to go shorter (#17) or longer (#20). Trial and error on this one.
5) no experience of the Bachmann version.

Have a look at Hunt magnetic couplers for your fixed rakes. I use those with Kadees on the end coach/wagon and loco.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Thank you. 8-)
Ha, there was me thinking nem was a standard so they were all fitted the same height and distance from buffers in each scale :lol:
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

They should be a standard height from the rails but as to their relationship with the buffer, well that is a moveable feast.
I bought a selection of couplings to experiment with before establishing what was 'right' for my locos. I tend to use the longer versions but have enough of a collection of locos that the shorter ones also found homes.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)

Post by 508035 »

I believe there is a height gauge available for kadee couplers aswell which will help visualise whether the couplers on srock and locos are at the same height and would ensure that any discrepancies in height would be dpotted so that they can be fixed.

I'm not sure exactly what year or issue number it featured in but Model Rail magazine did a feature on kadee couplers using a Bachmann class 158 and a Dapol class 155 as the examples. It might be worth looking on the website for Model Rail magazine and seeing if there are any features on there regarding kadee couplers.

I use these couplers myself, the only difference is that I remove the self centering spring mechanism and build a rigid coupler arm out of plasticard secured to the bogies although I do have 2 coaches where I am experimenting with chassis mounted coupling which I can definitively say is not the easiest thing to judge the vest distance between coaches. I am only using this experiment on a temporary basis as I am needing to replace 2 bogies at thd moment but at anywhere between £10 & £17 for a pair of bogies off ebay any replacement is on hold at this time.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi - I use Kadee couplers and the magnets - you want Code 83 (#322) magnets for Code 75 track. As has already been said, 17,18,19 and 20 are fine, but you may find on occasions, that a mix will give you an acceptable gap between say tender and coach without the problem of buffer-lock - I have several tenders with a 18 or 19 Kadee fitted, but have a 20 on the coach. Also the magnets work well, I have one on the end of each track in the fiddle yard - just make sure the track (sleepers) are clear of ballast and pva them into place. The height adjustment tool is useful as are the pliers they sell, but the bar can be bent using point-nosed pliers should adjustment be required.
I made a huge to do list for today. I just can't figure out who's going to do it! :lol:
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Ok I got a set and the magnets, to test, all seems well, so that leads to a couple more questions:

1. If using Neo mags, do they have to put between the sleepers in a set polarity and how many in a row ?
2. Where in the UK can I order the NEM versions in larger pack ?, I can only find them as 2 pair packs, not good value !