Forum Notice

We have updated our Forum Rules, and moved them to a new location. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with them as soon as possible. Click Here

First layout advice

Help with designing your track work
shed16

Re: First layout advice

Post by shed16 »

If a locomotive says minimum radius is 240mm, I understand I can't run it on 1st radius which is why I went for 2nd and 3rd in the layout, but if I use ST-5 and ST-6 turnouts, they're 240mm radius, so will the loco have issues or is it only an issue if its a continuous radius like on a a loop?

My planned layout has two back to back. Another thing i'll have to experiment with IRL?
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I have always tended to use Peco Streamline track on my layouts but did once use a single curved Setrack point due to space constraints and had nothing but trouble with it. None of my longer locos would go through it so it was quickly replaced with Streamline.
IMHO Setrack points are only worth using on 'train sets' using nothing larger than an 0-6-0.
Setrack also has a different track spacing on double tracks and gives a better look overall.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
shed16

Post by shed16 »

Interesting, can you mix ST (for straights and curves) with SL (for turnouts)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLtVrAMBvM
ok i'm sold! Those ST points just look plain wrong with a train running through them!!!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I've deleted my post as I wasn't paying attention and wrote a load of rubbish as a result. :?
Brian

Post by Brian »

Steve M wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:46 pm
shed16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:16 am Interesting, can you mix ST (for straights and curves) with SL (for turnouts)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLtVrAMBvM
ok i'm sold! Those ST points just look plain wrong with a train running through them!!!
Yes, but make sure they have the same rail profile - Setrack is code 100 rail (refers to rail depth) so you would need the same for the Streamline track.
The layout in N gauge Code 100 is OO. Peco N Setrack is Code 80 and their Finescale is Code 55. Though code 80 rail joiners fit! Code 55 flexible track is designed to only be curved in one direction, It has arrows underneath showing the curve direction, which I believe the arrows point to the outer curve rail?
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
shed16

Post by shed16 »

Confused by this. The Peco website states Setrack N Gauge is code 80, Streamline N Gauge is also code 80 according to the Peco website. What have I missed?

Also Streamline SL-300 flex track is N Gauge code 80.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

shed16 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:10 pm Confused by this. The Peco website states Setrack N Gauge is code 80, Streamline N Gauge is also code 80 according to the Peco website. What have I missed?

Also Streamline SL-300 flex track is N Gauge code 80.
You've not missed anything, it was me not appreciating you are using N gauge. There is a finescale code 55 track as well as the 'standard' code 80.