Forum Notice

We have updated our Forum Rules, and moved them to a new location. Please ensure you familiarise yourself with them as soon as possible. Click Here

DCC and loco control basics

shed16

DCC and loco control basics

Post by shed16 »

I'm yet to buy anything related to this hobby yet, still doing research and next on my list is a DCC controller.
I understand the differences between DC and DCC, I decided DCC would be best rather than buy a simple DC controller to start with.

I've looked at videos of different systems and I'm confused. I kind of feel I'd like something with actual train controls rather than just buttons, ie. I want some immersion. I'm confused how the CVs and additional train features are accessible from the basic controllers or are they not?!

The Digitrax Zephyr seems to tick the boxes as it has throttle/brake and reverser control like a full size.

NCE Power Cab seems well recommended and a solid option but with only buttons I feel it would be less "interactive".

Can you have break out controls which can be setup for specific locos or something so you're not having to spoil the fun by having to switch between locos with numbered buttons etc.

These two seem overpriced and "toy" trainset ish, CV programming looks painful! I assume these are in the avoid category?
The Hornby R8214 Elite
Bachmann EZ Command

Finally, if a controller says "runs 20 addresses" I assume this is ANY addresses, so any DCC addressable point motors, signals etc. as well as locos?

I'm keeping my first layout simple and will probably not have DCC point motors and just have them on an electrical switch panel, again immersion, but if I move on to a bigger layout with other DCC hardware I don't want to have to buy again. I don't mind if things are overkill for a tiny layout if i'm future proofed.

Hope that makes sense. Just a lunch time ramble. Feel I should probably get down to a local club, problem with Youtube (and I see it in my other hobbies where I know what i'm doing, is there is a lot of stuff for a newbie to cut through and ignore, like the video i watched on Smails yesterday, great but not yet!).
Brian

Re: DCC and loco control basics

Post by Brian »

Hi

DCC is a rather complex topic. But CV are the 'Tuning Slots' within a decoder. Each CV will usually have a considerable range of values (Value = the number selected withing the range of that CV) CV1 is the most basic which is the address number of the decoder.

Many DCC systems allow address numbers between 1 and 9999 However some more basic systems only allow a few address numbers to be available e.g. The Bachmann EZ Command only sets 1 to 10 while the Hornby Select is 1 to 59 plus 0 for one DC loco to be run but that is not recommended practice.

Loco address numbers are not the same as Accessory address numbers though they can be the same digits. The two are differently sent from the command unit.

All new decoders are supplied with their address set to 3. This should be set to a new address number once the loco is tested.

To note, while it may seem that its possible to run many locos (and it is!) the fact is that personally I find two locos running is fine, but add a third and my pea brain get phased as to what is what and as for 4 I just don't bother! :D
You normally, with one DCC system, can actually only control one loco. If you want to control a second then you need to go to its address number and select that then you have control of that loco. The first loco carries on doing whatever it was last told to do when you left it for loco 2 etc.

Edit to add... I recommend you may like to look at a DCC System that has a totally separate Programming track output. Not all do.
For multiple operators separate handset or consols are needed and this can only be done with some systems. Important you cannot add a second or more DCC systems to the rails or Bus wires of an existing system. They can only be connected via a special port on the command station
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
shed16

Post by shed16 »

Ah, so they sit in different address spaces, makes sense.

I feel I understand CVs as being settings within a decoder for changing various settings, as you say, with one of them being the address of the decoder so it can be moved from the default address they ship with. I'm fortunate that tech is my line of work so I should be able to get my head around it all.

I agree that one person operating more than a few locos would be a mind bend, I was more thinking when you have a larger layout with multiple operators.

I guess button vs an actual analog control is preference.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

The Powercab has a rotary button but it's mounted edge on like the rotary control on a computer mouse.

shed16

Post by shed16 »

Thanks, it wasn't obvious that was a scroll wheel.
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

May I offer an alternative suggestion ?
How about An Sig-na-Trak Ace 3 ?
As a standalone it is touch screen control, and so setting up CV, is less a game of numbers and more a case of sliders and buttons.
It comes with a 6 amp PSU so has enough juice to run a decent sized selection of locos, and you can add a "conventional" dial and button handset.

I have only had a quick play with mine (base boards are currently wip) but it is very intuitive, and the predecessor was well received I believe.

I also got a handset, as I prefer the "traditional feel" for control once the loco is set up how I like.
shed16

Post by shed16 »

I saw the Sig-na-Trak Ace 3 in another post. Whilst i'm sure the setup is nicer with a screen, I'd quite like tactile feel of a controller.
Also I spend all day looking at screens so not keen to do more of it.

A good approach might be a tablet based system on a setup track to configure everything quickly and easily before moving it onto a layout.

I'm also liking the idea of the digitrax as I understand you can add an old DC controller as a 2nd control and assign it to a particular ID, that would be cool for two people operating on the same layout in different sections.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Bachmann EZ Command allows the same with one of their DC controllers connected to their DCC one. But it is very limited in functions and addresses.

The Hornby Select has come on leaps and bounds and can have up to seven other non-powered Selects connected to it via special cables acting as additional DCC controllers.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Elite, plus Selects on Walkabout cables. I have 3, means 4 people can happily play. Great for kids, as well. He/she can have her own loco and track area. Secondhand Selects available on ebay. You dont need a transfomer, as powered from Elite by special cable. Worth a look.
dtb

Post by dtb »

I use a Gaugemaster PA2 or squared whatever you want to call it as my main DCC controller. I have 2 handsets connected at each end of the layout as it is over 15' long.
In addition to this I can also use the Roco z21 which is also connected to the layout. This system allows me to use 2 wireless Multimaus controllers and the addition of the z21 android app on the tablet.

Both systems work flawlessly for me, I have never considered any DCC systems from Hornby which I feel are inferior to what else is available on the market.

Take time to read up on the products available, what works for me is not necessarily for everyone.