Bachmann 31-154 Jubilee Class

Post here items relating to Bachmann. Including all their subsidiary makes.
Too Tall

Bachmann 31-154 Jubilee Class

Post by Too Tall »

I am getting some confusion researching these, mainly some sources are saying this is a split chassis model, and/or has a ringfield motor.
Can anyone clarify motor and split chassis on that particular model number for me please ?
Secondly, are the wheel flanges on these suitable for code 75 track ?
Mountain Goat

Re: Bachmann 31-154 Jubilee Class

Post by Mountain Goat »

If it says "Ringfield" it will be Hornby and be tender drive.

Bachmann will be loco drive. Earler models would likely be split chassis but the models I had which were split chassis types from Bachmann (Class 03's and a standard class) were pretty good runners and I never had any issues from them.
I think the issues came due to higher milages. Don't think any of mind had done a lot of milage but I did run the 03's a bit on a past layout. They seemed fine and the old Mainline 03's ran well too. (Modern 03's do not have a split chassis).

I honestly do not know if Bachmann made a non-split chassis on the loco you mentioned as I never bought one as I was a BR diesel enthusiast. I only ended up with the standard class loco (4-6-0) when I was given a Mainline body and tender and in those days Bachmann sold complete replacement chassis so I bought a chassis.That was split framed but ran amazingly well! But it was new underneath. A friend ended up with that.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
dtb

Post by dtb »

One way to check is take the loco body off, otherwise see link below, the loco is 30 years old so I would suggest it is a split chassis loco.

I may be wrong but whoever suggested a ringfield motor must be living in cloud cuckoo land as I do not recall any Bachmann loco's with ringfield drive..

https://www.modelraildatabase.com/locom ... ails/1424/
https://bachmann-spares.co.uk/file/Jubi ... hassis.PDF
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Thanks guys.
Yes, it was actually on hattons database site there was mention of a ringfield, I am pretty new to OO locos, but I did think that was odd for a Bachmann.
Given these were (as I understand it) originally made by Mainline, I thought it maybe possible. Bachmann have updated the chassis on certain models.
Indeed, that was my plan initially, to buy a S/H one and update loco and tender chassis to the latest version. But it then doesn't look as cost effective.
In the end I decided against it for now.