Track underlay

Help with designing your track work
Stese

Re: Track underlay

Post by Stese »

I've used roofing felt in this way before. It lasted well enough and gave a pretty uniform look. admittedly this was when I was working on an outdoor OO gauge railway so was in place to protect the baseboards from the elements rather than be a scenic feature.

If you are indoors the best option is cork underlay. if you ballast this, and don't like the noise, you can get acoustic pads (the kind they use in panel van conversions), which you adhere to the underside of the baseboards which might help reduce the noise.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

Thank you once again for all the input here.
stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

Stese wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:47 pm I've used roofing felt in this way before. It lasted well enough and gave a pretty uniform look. admittedly this was when I was working on an outdoor OO gauge railway so was in place to protect the baseboards from the elements rather than be a scenic feature.

If you are indoors the best option is cork underlay. if you ballast this, and don't like the noise, you can get acoustic pads (the kind they use in panel van conversions), which you adhere to the underside of the baseboards which might help reduce the noise.
Clearing out the cupboards I came across this. Tiree sand that is a light grey colour. Reckon I have about 5kg of it..Theres also plenty of slightly darker sand at Staffin Beach about 20 mins drive from me.

Can sand be stuck down in the same way that track ballast can?

Stese

Post by Stese »

I''d say pretty much any non-soluble material can be glued using a mix of PVA and water.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I agree, it should be fine to use though watch the granual size isn't too large. I have even used dried coffee grouts around loco depot areas. The only problem was the smell of coffee lasted for ages. :)
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Stese

Post by Stese »

I'm doing the same for a base level of ground scatter... and yes.. the smell is noticeable, but not unpleasant!
IanS

Post by IanS »

stonesfan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:42 pm Can sand be stuck down in the same way that track ballast can?
Just don't take too much either - https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/2373 ... les-beach/ as it is illegal to take from the beach.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I would suggest a test piece first. Some time ago I put some playpit sand (very fine) on the layout using the dilute PVA method and it didn't stick anywhere near as well as 'normal' ballast. Probably down to the PVA but it has made me wary of using sand everywhere since.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

IanS wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:46 am
stonesfan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:42 pm Can sand be stuck down in the same way that track ballast can?
Just don't take too much either - https://www.countytimes.co.uk/news/2373 ... les-beach/ as it is illegal to take from the beach.
Thanks for the heads up regarding this.

I guess a few kg would be considered okay. Up here in Skye I believe people 'farm' the beaches for Stones and sand quite regularly. Providing you aren't greedy the authorities would turn a blind eye.
IanS

Post by IanS »

stonesfan wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:53 am Thanks for the heads up regarding this.

I guess a few kg would be considered okay. Up here in Skye I believe people 'farm' the beaches for Stones and sand quite regularly. Providing you aren't greedy the authorities would turn a blind eye.
The main reason they 'turn a blind eye' is that they haven't enough money for enforcement. Even 1 pebble can attract a £1000 fine! (Although with no enforcement it is highly unlikely.)