Suitable decoder for Bachmann class 08

Post here items relating to Bachmann. Including all their subsidiary makes.
darkscot

Suitable decoder for Bachmann class 08

Post by darkscot »

I need a suggestion for a suitable small decoder for a Bachmann class 08? I have tried to fit a Zimo MX600R, but it is to big! The Zimo is about 25mm long and I think I need something not more than 20mm.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
Mountain Goat

Re: Suitable decoder for Bachmann class 08

Post by Mountain Goat »

I bought two mini Lenz N gauge decoders which apparently do fit the pre-DCC Bachmann 08's. I never fitted them, but if you can find them they do fit from what I hve been told.

You do mean the 00 gauge Bachmann 08?
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
dtb

Post by dtb »

Gaugemaster DCC29 8 pin Direct or Zimo MX616R Micro DCC 8 PIN wired decoder maybe.
The Zimo is 8 x 8 x 2.4mm
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:36 pm You do mean the 00 gauge Bachmann 08?
Sorry yes, I should have made that clear.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

dtb wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:35 am Gaugemaster DCC29 8 pin Direct or Zimo MX616R Micro DCC 8 PIN wired decoder maybe.
I did wonder about a direct pin type, Hattons do their own for £17, but they seem to deeper than a standard decoder and worry that might create another problem. The MX616R should fit, but would it handle the current of the motor?

I have done a search online, but most of the advice is for the pre DCC ready version.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

I have two - one has a TCS M1 in it which will have been hard wired, the other a direct fit DCC Concepts Z360 - I suspect it probably had a TCS DP2X-UK originally and the Z360 was fitted as it was too big for another loco,
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

The Z360 looks very interesting, especially as it includes stay alive.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

It’s a while since I converted my Bachmann 08 so I can’t remember the exact details without opening it up again. But I fitted a Hornby TTS (not the smallest of deciders) and a sugarcube speaker to mine - so there is space to be found.
I think the speaker ended up behind the radiator and the decoder to the side of the motor.
Sometimes you have to be a little ‘inventive’ to fit these things in.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

Steve M wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:21 am I think the speaker ended up behind the radiator and the decoder to the side of the motor.
I have seen a fitting guide online that involves removing the existing PCB and mounting brackets then hardwiring the decoder. That would probably give room for the speaker behind the grill, but it seems other people put the speaker in the cab. I tried to get the decoder to sit beside the motor, but the loco body is just too snug a fit. You never know though, I will give it another go and see what happens.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

darkscot wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:17 am The Z360 looks very interesting, especially as it includes stay alive.
Only if theres space for the stay alive, think I have only ever managed to fit one and that was not the 08. Not exactly keen on DCC Concepts decoders, the dumbed down instructions are too dumbed down IMO. The TCS DP2X-UK is despite what DCC Concepts claim the one direct fit decoder that normally you fit, DCC Concepts make one that is smaller in length and width but thicker and that normally makes it impossible to get a body back on.